Monday, May 12, 2008

One Of The Greatest Acts Of Faith

"One of the greatest acts of faith is to look into the mirror of God's Word and see yourself as you really are: an unworthy sinner that is rightfully condemned AND then to still believe and dare to believe that God loves you as much as He says He does." - Paul Washer, Southern Baptist Pastor and founder of the HeartCry Missionaries

How true! This is so true for me! I look at myself and I say, "Whoa! How could God ever love a wretch like me?" This is why I love the song "Amazing Grace" so much! It exalts God's glory over man's depravity!

It really takes a lot of faith to believe that God indeed loves you after you have fully accepted the Scripture's testimony against an unconverted man's rotten and God-hating nature. In fact, you cannot do so unless you have fully grasped the essence of the cross.

One of the hardest things to do after the revelation of God's wrath against the godless is to believe without doubt that your sins are forgiven and that you can enjoy an unblemished relationship with such a holy and just God. People who can say easily that they love the Lord do not understand their depravity. Because if you really understand the reality of sin and the kind of bondage you once had with it, saying "I love you Lord" takes tremendous effort.

I am so thankful for the work of Jesus on the Cross not only for its tremendous implications but also because, just by looking at it, I have the assurance that I am graciously forgiven and loved. One of the reasons why God publicly displayed the suffering of His Son is so that His elect would be truly convinced that He loves them as much as He says He does.

No comments: