Saturday, September 20, 2008

A LETTER FROM ANOTHER

Below is a letter from my best friend, my brother and a fellow recipient of the sovereign grace that grants what no man deserves. I am but filled with joy to hear from "another" who knows Him as I do if not more, loves Him as I do if not more and serves Him as I do if not more.

What grace is this indeed!
___________
Hi Mike,

Happy Birthday!!!

Let me tell you about my birthday hope and wishes for this new year in your life.

Whenever I think of you I always think of myself. Everything I wish for myself and pray for myself I pray and wish also for you, and more. If I would pray to God to give me a greater burden for His church, I'd increasingly pray more that He would be more gracious in the same for you. If I would pray to God to give me a greater anguish for His Word and His people, I pray more so for you. If I would pray to God to give me greater boldness and wisdom in Christ, I would pray that it would be more for you. I pray the best for you. And as it is God's appointed method to put us through pain, hurt and heart ache in able to conform us to the image of the Lord Christ Jesus, I pray that He would do so increasingly in your life.

Never was there a time in my life that I felt more comfortable to be "me." To be just me. I never felt so free from insecurities, ego and vanity. Never in my entire life before this time. When we give so much of ourselves and give ourselves away for the cause that is Christ, I feel peace. There is no greater goal. Having said that, I can't thank the Lord enough that He has predestined our lives to be entwined together, that in hardships and sorrow He would, at times that I needed the most, send you. To use you that you too may give yourself away for my sake, in simple words, in a simple letter, in a simple article, above all else as we would do to the Lord.

What grace is this to be alive and well? The great privilege to be able to see and hear the wonders of the Gospel. What grace is this? In the words of John, "What manner of love is this?" How joyful I am that you have been given another year dear brother! How joyful I am that even to this day you hold fast to the truths of Scripture! How joyful I am that even through fire and brimstone, by grace alone, you still press on.

Stand firm, Mike. Stand strong. I pray that the Lord would grace you with so much more. An ever increasing love for His Word. An ever increasing love for His Gospel. An ever increasing love for His people. An immensely more increasing love for Him.

May you go deeper, higher and wider... that you may see, grasp and understand, like never before... the heights, the depths, and the extents of God's love for us, His people.

May the Lord keep you. May His grace shine upon you and give you peace.


Yours for His sake,
JM

No comments: