Friday, May 30, 2008

HEAVENLY THINKING

I was on my way for a job interview when the Lord brought my thoughts into a forgotten stream of truth. "You're just passing through", He whispered as I was taking the subway train in my formal wear, ready to meet my possible employer.

I thanked the heavens for His great revelation. How marvelous are His words! This world is not my home! I'm just passing through. I am a pilgrim of this world so why should I be overly concerned with such worldly things. Why should I live as if I truly belong here when I am not? Shouldn't I prepare my heart for eternity? Shouldn't I pursue the eternal and godly things as Jesus has instructed?

It all came to me. A few decades more or maybe even tomorrow, I'll be leaving this perishing world. Each day could be my last so why should I live storing riches here? Even if I am successful in my endeavors, death would physically eat my body. So why not live each day as if it were my last? Why not live each day, savoring every moment, good or bad, joyfully with the Lord? Anytime could be my last and my victory is secured so why still cower in fear of the unknown? Why not radically sprint in this life I was born to? Shouldn't I walk as if I will never walk again? Shouldn't I preach as if I will never preach again? When the Lord comes, there will be no more preaching or evangelism. There will be no more standing up for the truth. There will be no more persecution or trouble. There will be no more tears for revival. There will be no more weeping in prayer. There will be no more time to run and hide. Its judgment day. The sea and land would give up the dead. The books of life would be opened and those names that were written, those who belong to the Lord, will live forever with Him, adoring His unfailing magnificence.

The Lord of lords that leadeth a host of fiery angels is soon to come. Soon everything will be over. In this life, I have become a stranger. The moment I was given the mark of the Lamb, I have become a pilgrim. Yes, my flesh still exists and craves the world. But the Spirit will soon complete its work in my heart and so I have great confidence that I would be "fleshless" before the throne of the Almighty on that day.

"What would He be like?" I wondered. My thoughts were far gone. I was still on the subway train marveling at the greatness of the Gospel. We are not just forgiven! We were purchased by His sacrifice! We're free from the power of darkness! We are His now! Not only are we forever cleansed but we can finally enter the enter the Holy of holies and worship Him in Spirit and truth! We have an unspeakable future with the great Creator of life! We, who deserved to die, have a hope to look forward to!? We, His elect, have been given a new life and a new nature. How did it come to these? My heart was leaping with joy! Oh, Lord, how I thank Thee and Thy Cross! What would I do without Thee? The depths of His mercy are truly unfathomable. One thing is for sure: all these are for the glory of His Name.

As I stepped out of the train, wild and free in pondering, it dawned on me. I'll enjoy every remaining time here on earth with the Lord as I wait for His return. With this in mind, I walked out of the subway into the bus stop, more than ready to face another beautiful day.

No comments: